Sunday, 5 February 2012

Bird Cakes. (Fat Balls!)

No I haven't been reported to the RSPCA for cruelty, no I haven't really cooked any birds.
Wait - we had chicken for tea, oh you know what I mean!

Beanie and I have made Bird Cakes. I don't really know what they are called. Fat Balls, except from ours aren't balls!

Over time we collect all the old fat from the grill pan and it sits looking pretty disgusting on the windowsill in the kitchen in a very large mug. I got to the point where I was sick of seeing it (and smelling it!), so I decided we should have a go at making our own bird cakes.

We have never made them before but I had seen somewhere that the could be made using plastic cups and string.  We had numerous cups left over from Beanie's birthday in December and I dug out the string from the bottom of the kitchen drawer.


Beanie was sent outside to his stick pile (OCD boy has to collect them!) to break off some just wider than the cups.

Meanwhile I put the mug of fat into the microwave and melted it down.

Whilst this was cooking, I pierced a hole in the bottom of the cups and threaded the string through, past the bottom (really the top) and then tied Beanie's little stick to the end of the string.

When the fat had melted we mixed in a bag of bird seed, until it was thick.

We then filled each of the cups to the brim with the mixture, and then pulled the string tight so that the stick sat across the top of the cup.

We left them to set.

I thought I would help speed up the process and placed them outside on the patio table.




I forgot about them, and over night the temperature dropped, a lot.

The next day they were frozen solid!!

They have remained on the patio table since!!

Until today, when it has warmed up a bit. You have had snow, we have had sun!

Anyway, today was warm enough, so I went outside and snipped either side of the cup and peeled the cup away.



Leaving a fat cake, with a stick across the bottom (for the birds to stand on) and string for it to be attached to the tree!



2 comments:

  1. They are MUCH cooler than mine! Plus the dog ate one of mine and I put the stick in the pot and there it remains....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours sound nicer though! You must have posh birds that eat cranberries, mine got Lidl bird seed! Our dog has licked the mess off the patio table, but I have to say I was pretty impressed myself. Turned out a lot better than I thought they would!

      Delete