Thursday, 20 June 2013

Book Review - One Cold Night by Katia Lief





I started it on Sunday - I finished it on Monday.  That good, I couldn't put it down.

I had never heard of Katia Lief. I discovered her in the Kobo bookstore, a bargain at 98p.  Something caught my attention (the cover again), this time mysterious, dark yet inviting.

I downloaded it.

To be honest my genre of literature has rapidly turned to chick lit, there was a time when I read anything and everything, but lately I hadn't moved from my new found comfort zone.

The story is about Susan and Dave, Susan is a chocolate shop/factory owner  and Dave a detective in the police. They live in New York with Susan's adopted sister, Lisa, who 15 years her junior had come to live with them to attend a singing/drama school in the city.

A happy go lucky life until......One Cold Night.

Lisa wants to find her birth parents and Susan offers a revelation (predictable from the onset) and from then on the story changes and moves fast, drawing you in. Lisa vanishes and the story then follows the detectives and Susan and Dave as they piece together what has happened to her.  Dave becomes immersed in the case, due to not having solved a similar one exactly 12 months previous to this one. Exactly the same, a girl similar in age and features to Lisa taken from very near her own doorstep. You know there is a link between the two girls but the authors telling of this story is fantastic and it really does have you wanting to find out exactly what has happened to Lisa and the girl before her and to find out whether Lisa and her survive. There are a few clues,  a trail of blood and a footprint but Dave knows if this case is going the same way as the previous one, then their time is limited before something dreadful happens to her. Even at the end when the outcome is found there are still twists and turns in this story up to the very end that weren't predictable and really had me on the edge of my seat.

It is again another book that is beautifully written and describes the scenes and characters really well, making it feel like you know these places and people.

I really don't want to give this story away, but I will definitely be reading more of this authors books and this is definitely one to be read!

Another 5 Star book on Goodreads from me!


2 comments:

  1. Great review. Can I suggest that you read some classic literature as I'd love to hear what you have to think about some more well known novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, when I have read my long list in my ereader waiting to be read!

      Delete